FIELD TRIPS AND TOURS
In past years the directors and the parents have been very supportive
of the benefits of music ensemble travel. Previous tours have included:
- MusicFest Canada - Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto,
- Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival - University of Idaho at Moscow
- Disney Magic Music Days - Anaheim, California
- Interior band Festival - Pentiction
- Atlantic Music Festival – Halifax (2007)
RATIONALE FOR UNDERTAKING A TOUR
- provides opportunity to perform for non captive audience i.e.
adjudicators who evaluate and suggest improvements and/or general
public that don’t have to like us if they don’t feel like it.
- provides opportunity to learn about music in an intensive
setting. (music festival or working with educator and other
musicians in another city.)
- strengthens and confirms in a positive way the musical,
organizational, and emotional interdependence between group members.
- provides focus for directors to plan for organizational and
disciplinary structures that are put in place throughout the year(s).
- provides long term focus for students that provides stability
and enjoyment of school life in a general sense for the entire year
and for future years as well.
- enhances students’ ability to plan and manage finances through
fund-raising credit system and personal money.
- students must maintain sufficient academic and behavioral
standards to successfully receive permission from subject teachers
to be excused from class to Tour. The Directors will, of course, be
very concerned about how such problems will affect the ability of
the group to fulfill performance, travel, and financial commitments.
The “Band tour” has proven again and again to members and their
families to be a very powerful life changing experience. This year the
Directors would like to propose the following tours for the
consideration of students and parents. Only through strong support from
all can these exciting proposals become a reality.